I am so delighted and honored to share that I am writing this post thanks to a brand-new association with McCormick spices. I have used their spices since I have been in the US (about twenty years)!
The recipe for this post is one that is very close to my heart: my kids love it! It is a treat that I make for them once or twice a year and they gobble it up. The light pink color makes it look a bit magical! I know a number of my readers will be so happy that I am finally posting a dessert recipe! (I heard your feedback that you wanted a few easy Indian-inspired desserts so here goes). The kids like a bit of color so they picked pink (yes, the boys did.. LOL)
Monica’s Pretty in Pink Balls
Yields 10–12 pieces
1 cup ricotta cheese, drained of any whey
1 cup crumbled paneer (this is Indian cheese, easily available at any Indian store)**
1 can (12 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
2-4 drops of McCormick Assorted Food Coloring (red is what I used)
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well by hand or using a hand blender.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan. Add the mixture, and cook on low heat, stirring constantly, for about 25-30 minutes or until the mixture dries up and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a platter. Allow it to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Divide into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a small ball ( the kids always help me to do this and I should have taken photos.. ah, next time). Serve.
This dessert is SO versatile. My children have always loved the fresh, sweetness of vanilla, so they prefer it with vanilla. My own Indian tastes tend towards cardamom and if you want to do that, you can omit the color and vanilla and instead add ground cardamom. If you want to play even more, add the cardamom along with McCormick’s Spanish Saffron.
Spices are really my life-line in the kitchen. I often joke that my spices guide my hands. The cardamom dictates if it wants to be ground or sizzled, the cumin encourages me to explore my savory side, ginger is my friend even on rough days in the kitchen and saffron makes me smile.
Do you love spices as much as I do? I hope you will take a moment to tell me about them and it could even win you a prize.. See below
McCormick has been kind enough to provide a huge HUGE box of goodies for one, lucky, US-based Life of Spice reader:
I hope you will all enter for a chance to win this lovely box!
Here is what you need to do to enter:
- Leave a comment here about your favorite spring spice and how you like to use it.
- Do tell a friend on FB or Twitter about this giveaway. The honor system is in place here.
- Only one entry per person
- My kids will pick a winner on Friday evening at 5:00, p.m (may 25th, 2012) and I will notify the winner via email. If we do not hear back from you within 24 hours, we will pick another winner. All decisions are final.
The box of goodies includes:
A beautiful apron
Spring themed cookie cutters
Wilton Ultra Bake 12 cup Muffin Pan
CorningWare 3 quart Stoneware Pan
Meri Meri Cupcake liners (48 count)
McCormick Food Coloring
McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract
McCormick Pure Lemon Extract
McCormick Ground Cinnamon
McCormick Ground Ginger
Lovely photos of the dessert were shot by the very talented Reem Rizvi of Simply Reem for Life of Spice. I am grateful to her!
This giveaway is sponsored by McCormick spices.